Pages

Monday 18 July 2011

Sister love

Sisters. I find myself looking at my four daughters and contemplating the relationship that they are so lucky to have with each other, and yet I know that it will challenge them too.

I am the youngest of three girls. I arrived on the scene five years after my sister, and the older two are two years apart. I was always close with my sisters. They spoiled me when I was little, and I looked up to them more than they know. I truly admired my older sisters, and I wanted to be just like them.

Now, the only relationship I have is with my oldest sister. My middle sister who I will call "Linnie", doesn't want to be a part of our family. No one has heard from her in nearly a year. It's complicated. The hurt is deep, and the history is heavy. What I don't think Linnie understands is that a family also has a history, and the love is deep.

I believe that Faith is one of the ways that we can understand the transforming power of Unconditional Love. I believe that to love oneself is only possible through understanding God's love for us. I think that this is what my sister is missing. She doesn't love God. She doesn't love herself. She couldn't possibly understand how much we love her. But we do. We love her Unconditionally. It's not a perfect love. There have been many times when the hurt has prohibited me from loving Linnie too. But time goes by, and slowly I come around and extend my hand again. And again. Linnie isn't ready to accept my love yet, not until she is able to love herself. I'll keep showing her that I'm here and want a relationship with her. I'll keep loving her.

God helps me to do this, because I can't do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment